Five Star and WellNow Urgent Care are proud to provide quick and convenient care for you and your loved ones throughout the holiday season. From family football games to Black Friday shopping and everything in between, there is so much to love about Thanksgiving.
However, it can be easy to start feeling overwhelmed by all the hustle and bustle that happens at the end of November. We are here to help make it all better – and to help manage your stress going into the Big Day. Take these ten Thanksgiving tips into account to maintain your holiday health and keep you feeling your best:
- Start planning your menu and shopping list weeks in advance. Getting a head start on your groceries will reduce the time you have to spend in a store leading up to the holiday – reducing stress and making you feel like you have everything under control.
- Bring a healthy dish to pass at your Friendsgiving potluck. Some friends will thank you, others will roll their eyes – but everyone is better off knowing there is at least one healthy option on the table.
- There’s nothing better than some friendly competition for a Thanksgiving football game but pack a first aid kit so you can tend to any bumps and bruises that happen on the spot. Two-hand-touch or flag football as an alternate to tackle will help lower the chances of any serious injuries.
- Having a table packed with food often means a chaotic kitchen behind the scenes. Section off your kitchen space to stay organized and limit your raw turkey from sharing surfaces with your side dishes, such as mashed potatoes or green bean casserole.
- Allow your oven to do the disinfecting. There is an existing argument that washing your turkey before it enters the oven actually spreads “bacteria-water” around your cooking space, so some will say to just rely on your oven to get rid of any germs.
- It’s well-known that non-porous materials clean better than wood, so leave your wooden utensils in the cupboard for Thanksgiving prep. Use plastic tools instead – they’re less likely to hang onto bacteria.
- Eat a healthy breakfast on Thanksgiving. Many people think that “fasting” all day leading up to dinner is the way to go – it’s not. Eat a well-balanced breakfast because without, you’ll be extra-hungry and stuff yourself. Dieticians also say that this practice slows your metabolism, storing the extra calories as fat, rather than using them.
- Fueling your Black Friday shopping with coffee seems inevitable – just make sure you supplement it by stopping to drink water more than usual. Just-plain-water keeps you hydrated and helps avoid side effects of caffeine, like headaches and irritability.
- Pack healthy snacks for Black Friday shopping, like apples, a handful of almonds or a cup of yogurt. Relying on the sodium-heavy snacks at the mall food court will only add to the bloating and discomfort that often accompany the “turkey coma”.
- Locate the Five Star and WellNow location nearest you to help plan for the unplanned this holiday season. From a touch of the flu when the timing could not be worse to a Thanksgiving football ankle sprain, we’re here to help make it all better.
The medical professionals at Five Star and WellNow Urgent Care wish you and your loved ones a safe and happy holiday and remind you to walk in to a location near you for treatment of any non-life-threatening injuries or illnesses, including symptoms of foodborne illness that may arise during Thanksgiving.